Ogden City | Water Maintenance Technician I
Date postedMay 25, 2023
$18.23 - $27.25
June 7, 2023
This position performs semi-skilled work involving laying, repairing, and maintaining pipelines and associated system components, working with SCADA, meters, and other electronic and computer associated equipment. Receives direct supervision from the Maintenance Supervisor or Maintenance Crew Leader.
Essential Job Functions
- Read water meters, remember the reading, and record consumption (numbers) correctly; identify water meter equipment problems and perform minor water meter maintenance.
- Employees at this level perform a full range of duties as assigned including operation of various maintenance machines and equipment, shoveling, and spreading asphalt and the laying and repairing of pipelines; ability to repair and maintain pumps and pressure regulator valves.
- Read residential and commercial water meters using manual and electronic reading skills and computerized meter reading equipment on assigned routes; record readings and make necessary calculations; ensure that meters are registering properly; report to supervisor on meter conditions, defects, or suspicious conditions; provide water utility customers services including re-reading meters and delivering delinquent account notices; respond to and resolve customer requests, complaints and inquiries; discontinue water services as required.
- Perform minor meter maintenance and repair duties.
- Perform the routing of new accounts; prepare a variety of operational reports related to water meter reading activities.
- Respond to emergency calls after hours.
- Inspect meter rings and covers before reading meters for fit and safety; replace damaged meter box rings and covers as needed.
- Maintain hand tools and assigned equipment; perform preventive maintenance on equipment.
- Install street barricades and cones prior to the performance of street repair activities.
- Direct and control traffic around work sites.
- Utilize proper safety precautions related to all work performed; respond to public inquiries in a courteous manner; provide information within the area of assignment; resolve complaints in an efficient and timely manner.
- Assist in the installation, maintenance, and repair of water mains, service lines, fire hydrants, valves, detector checks and backflow prevention devices; flush and chlorinate main water lines and hydrants as necessary.
- Assist in tapping main lines and boring for service installations; replace customer service lines; check water lines and meters for leaks; make water line connections and set meters; accordingly, conduct high water bill inspections; install, repair, and replace meters, meter vaults, and boxes; remove old water meters and set new ones; repair and replace rings and covers; continually inspect for repairs.
- Operate and maintain various city vehicles in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Take stand-by status as assigned.
- Participate in safety and risk management activities; take action to reduce liability to the city.
- Attendance and punctuality are essential functions of this position. Employee is required to work as a team and frequently meet with co-workers and supervisors; employee is required to communicate in-person with the public during office hours; and employee is required to use on-site equipment.
- Perform other related duties as required/assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements
- At least one year of general maintenance experience performing field maintenance work within the assigned area of responsibility; six months experience with computerized data entry equipment is desirable; some general water systems experience, construction experience or other utility experience is also desirable.
- High school diploma or its equivalent.
- Any combination of experience and education that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities may be qualifying.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, within 150 days of appointment, a Class B CDL.
- Possession of or ability to obtain a Grade IV Water Distribution certificate within six months of appointment.
- Employee will be required to complete NIMS IS100, IS200, IS700, and IS800 within one year of hire.
Knowledge Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques of general construction, maintenance and repair related to the area of work assigned.
- Knowledge of the operational characteristics of mechanical equipment, water meters, and tools used around work assigned.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
- Knowledge of pertinent policies.
- Knowledge of basic arithmetic principles.
- Skill in performing unskilled and semi-skilled maintenance, construction, and repair work around work assigned.
- Skill in operating a variety of vehicular and stationary mechanical equipment in a safe and effective manner.
- Knowledge of safe driving practices.
- Skill in driving a standard transmission vehicle.
- Skill in performing a variety of manual tasks for extended periods of time and in unfavorable weather conditions.
- •kill in performing heavy manual labor.
- Skill in working independently in the absence of supervision.
- Skill in communicating clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include walking or standing for extended periods of time, operating assigned equipment.
- Ability to maintain effective audio-visual discrimination and perception needed for making observations, communicating with others, operating assigned equipment and vehicles as required by the position.
- Ability to maintain mental capacity which allows for effective interaction and communication with others.
- Ability to comply with all city policies and regulations, including safety and risk management standards.
- Language Pay
- Longevity Pay
- Sick, Vacation, and Comp Time Leave
- Medical and Dental
- EAP- Employee Assistance Program
- Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- Employee Loan Program- Computer, Bike & Exercise equipment loans when available
- Wellness Program
- Tuition Reimbursement
How/Where to Apply
Apply online: https://ogdencity.applicantpro.com/jobs/2898722.html