Syracuse City | Water Maintenance Worker I
$18.18 - $26.34
The primary responsibility of this position is the installation of meter pits, meters, and radio readers on existing secondary water services throughout the city. This position is also responsible for performing a variety of duties related to the construction, installation, maintenance, upkeep, and repair of culinary and secondary water systems. This position is also responsible for proper maintenance of all water division vehicles and equipment and assisting public works personnel in safe, proper, and efficient execution of tasks.
- Prepare truck with daily supplies and equipment, Find valve, excavate trench with vac trailer or hand digging, expose service line and valve, cut pipe, install meter pit, connect to existing pipe, tighten bolts on meter assembly
- Install radio reader, test for leaks after installation, backfill any dirt, repair landscape, assist with linking meter data for account set up
- Cleanup tools, equipment, and truck daily
Understand job duties, proper equipment uses, safety practices, and standard operating procedures.
- Monitor pressure stations and telemeter equipment
- Perform installation or repair of culinary and secondary water service connections
- Repair or replace fire hydrants and plugged water meters
- Repair water mains
- Tear out and repair street when locating and uncovering broken lines
- Assist in placement of pipe
- Flag on-coming vehicles to protect the public and workers
- Take on-call shifts which requires response as needed during nights, weekends, and holidays
- Respond to emergencies as needed, even on weekends, holidays, and after-hours including times when you are not on a designated on-call shift
- Maintain a productive working environment which includes, but is not limited to, a spirit of cooperation with co-workers, peers, and the public
- Assist with other public works functions, such as snow clearing, street and environmental maintenance
- Rare other duties as assigned by the Water Superintendent
- Knowledge of:
- Safety procedures
- Machines and tools, including their uses, repair, and maintenance
- Skilled in:
- Handling multiple projects with interruptions
- Prioritizing and organizing workload to meet deadlines
- Watching indicators to make sure a machine is working properly
- Using electronic technology related to reporting, inspections, mapping, work-orders, communication, timekeeping, and software that improve efficiency in job performance
- Ability to receive and follow verbal and written instructions
- Work a rotating on-call schedule in addition to the regular work schedule
- Respond to emergency situations and handle them properly
- Properly mix chemicals according to manufacturer's recommendations
- Work in confined spaces.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to lift 25-50 pounds. The employee is also required to be able to coordinate two or more limbs while sitting, standing, or lying down. Ability to dig and climb in and out of trenches. Ability to apply torque with tools to tighten or loosen bolts.
The noise level of the maintenance equipment is generally loud noise or very loud noise. Work is performed primarily in outdoor settings and in all weather conditions.
Employee is exposed to hazards associated with water pipe and sewage maintenance including smoke, noxious odors, fumes, chemicals, liquid chemicals, solvents, and oils.
The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- High school diploma or GED
- Valid Utah Class “D” Driver’s License or able to obtain one within 14 days of hire
- Must live within 17 road miles of City Hall in order to respond quickly while on call or in emergency situations.
Qualified applicants must complete a Syracuse City employment application online at www.syracuseut.gov. If you do not have access to a computer, you may come to the Syracuse City Hall Administration building located at 1979 W 1900 S, Syracuse, UT 84075 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Applicants needing further information regarding the position or needing assistance due to a disability should contact Kadi Jacobsen, at firstname.lastname@example.org.