The RWAU Sourcewater Technician helps systems that need to develop a brand new Source Protection plan on a new source. For the creation of a new Source Protection Plan, the RWAU Sourcewater Technician works with water systems to:
- Facilitate and mediate planning meetings between various cross-jurisdictional entities
- Develop and implement a plan to address the state-specific source water protection needs of rural and small community water systems in the state
- Provide assistance and support in facilitating the implementation of source water protection plans
- Provide assistance and support in source water protection planning
- Provide presentations and assistance to local officials, community groups, and others
- Respond to inquiries from facilities, consumers, governmental agencies, and others regarding technical matters
- The RWAU Source Protection Program is funded through USDA Farm Services via the National Rural Water Association
This is a free service, but due to the large nature of these projects, the RWAU technician can complete only a limited amount of new source protection plans each year. If you have a new source that needs a plan, please use the link below to email your request as early as possible.
The deadline for submitting plan updates can be found in the chart below. The RWAU Source Protection Technician can provide onsite training to help teach you how to complete your source protection plan updates. This training can be at your system or online and typically lasts about 1 hour. If you would like to schedule a free training with the RWAU Source Water Technician to take advantage of this training, please email her a request using the link below.
|System Population||Springs||Wells||Surface Water|
|>10,000||December 31, 2020||December 31, 2025|
|3,300-10,000||December 31, 2021||December 31, 2020|
|<3,300||December 31, 2022||December 31, 2021|
|All Populations||December 31, 2023|
Rural Water also offers a full-service option for Source Protection Plan Updates. This is a paid option for those who want RWAU to complete their source protection plans. An RWAU employee will update your source protection plan, give you action steps as needed, and work with you to get your plan submitted to the Division of Drinking Water. Some steps in this option include:
- Helping you locate your current plan (if needed)
- Review of the current plan
- Finding and communicating action items that may need to be completed by your system
- Updating these items in the plan once they have been completed by your system
- Submitting the plan to DDW
The fee for this service is $500 for Members and $700 for nonmembers. Use the link below to email Megan a request for this service and she will get in touch with you to begin the process.
Use the link below to request a visit from the RWAU Sourcewater Technician to present Source Protection at your Water Fair or Event! (And it's free!)